Wednesday, November 18, 2009

GUESS WHOSE COMING TO DINNER



The Military Religious Freedom Foundation has added Frank Schaeffer as a board member.
Interesting.
I've read his book, "Crazy for God." For what it's worth I have mixed feelings about this appointment.
But, reading his book I have mixed feelings about him and his family. They run from pure sympathy to confusion to well, hate.
Now, that all said and done, Mr. Schaeffer left the so called "Christian Coalition" and is very open about his distaste for the group.
He receive hate mail from some of his former fans.
I've been a life long atheist. I guess you could say that officially did not believe in God when I was 6. I didn't know I was an "atheist" but did later.
Back in high school during a discussion in class mentioned that I did not believe in God. A couple of people just got mad as hell at me. Why? Because I didn't believe in an invisible guy in the sky. These people were just down right PO'd.
In college I found two others who were atheists. They were two of my fraternity brothers. Those are the only two I ever met in college.
So, I can understand how it must feel for Mr. Schaeffer to receive hate mail from his former fans.
But I have had to watch how today's so called "Republican Party" came to what it is. Thanks to Mr. Schaeffer and his family.
Maybe he is paying his "penance" for what he and his family help bring about on our country.
The first time I ever heard of Mr. Schaeffer was when he was on Rachael Maddow's show this past summer when the late term abortion doctor was assassinated.
His statement of, "You don't change the village to fit the village idiot" was very profound.
Having attended the Texas Freethinkers Convention this past weekend in San Antonio, Texas, several of the speakers new of Mr. Schaeffer and his late father.
This should be interesting to see what Mr. Schaeffer brings to this organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment